Alcoholic Beverage Licenses

Iowa law requires all alcoholic beverages retailers, wholesalers, manufacturers, importers and brokers to apply for and obtain a license or permit before doing business in the state.   Complete license application on line through the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division by following the instructions for electronic licensing.

If you do not have a computer, the Ottumwa Public Library has Internet available, (Their hours are Monday – Thursday, 9:30 A.M. to 8:00 P.M., Friday &  Saturday, 9:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.   You may also call Alcoholic Beverages in Ankeny at 866-469-2223, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday – Friday for computer assistance.

Contact your insurance agent to have your dram shop liability, if applicable, forwarded and verified by Alcoholic Beverages.


Your application, dram shop liability and license fee must be properly filed with Alcoholic Beverages before your application is referred to the City of Ottumwa for processing.   The City of Ottumwa will need Health Dept., Fire Dept., Police Dept., Building and Zoning approvals prior to being placed on the Council’s agenda for consideration.

Step One

You must provide the City Clerk’s Office with the following information:


Step Two

Contact the Health & Inspection Office to schedule an appointment for an inspection of your business establishment and obtain your food service establishment license.  Their office is located in Room 203 of City Hall, and their office hours are 7:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Monday – Friday, and their phone number is 683-0610.

Step Three

Contact Deputy Fire Chief  – Monday – Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. at 683-0666 to schedule a fire code inspection for your establishment.


The Ottumwa City Council meet on the first and third Tuesdays for alcoholic beverage licenses to be considered for approval.  The City Clerk’s Office must have the information by noon via Internet verification Thursday prior to the forthcoming Tuesday.